Friday, September 12, 2008

Interview with God




"She's never let us down, doing things when she strives to do it," says Chuck Heath, father of Gov. Sarah Palin. My readings today took me to our current political landscape, a landscape strewn with verbal landmines. Both sides are guilty, and both sides hope the verbal claymores will tear their opponents' masks away to reveal monsters. The more I read about the faults of Sarah Palin, the more inspired I feel.

It's been a long time since I was inspired by anyone in our current media, but there is one scenario that gets me every time - the person who, through perseverance and opposition, becomes great. Learning about Palin, I have found that she is just ordinary, with extraordinary drive. I think that all of us can sympathize with ordinary, and all of us have the desire to be great - at something. Heath said, "If she didn't have a certain ability, she worked and worked and worked until she obtained that ability or skill." That's what I want from a leader. Someone who can teach me how to be better. I don't care so much about all the ever-shifting tides of change. There will always be money swinging back and forth. There will always be people trying to figure out the most efficient ways to tax, spend, earn, kill, defend, etc. But I want someone who can show me how to become the greatest version of myself, someone who takes the hard road. An ordinary person, who chooses to learn greatness and hopefully to teach greatness.

When we die, our interview with God will be who we are and the choices we made to get there. Not how much money we made or what car we drove. If having Palin as a vice president reminds me that I can be a better version of myself, then I immediately see the changes that can be made over the next four years - a better me.

3 comments:

Summersfam said...

I would never classify myself as being politically minded, but I happened to catch the interview with Palin on Nightline last night with Charlie Gibson. Did you see it? I've always known the media was way out in left field, but holy cow! What was that about?

S. M. Jenkins said...

That was...ridiculous. What amazes me the most is that people can't see how one-sided that interview was.
Interviewer
"Palin, do you like hamburgers?"
We are shown a wide shot of Sarah in her kitchen pulling out a frying pan.
Interviewer (voice over) - we are shown many of Palin's friends, sitting around shaking their heads during the voice over.
"We asked many of Sarah's closest friends and none of them can recall her liking meat. Then why was she such a large proponent of the Cattleman Act of 2003? And what about this shocking discovery?"

We Cut TO: A still photo of Sarah's husband in a minivan, wearing sunglasses, at a McDonalds. His window is down and he is leaned out to grab an overflowing bag of food.
Interviewer
"Why does she dodge such innocent questions? It seams she is hiding more in those tax-purchased cupboards than $300 frying pans!"

Okay, that was fake and over-the-top. But my made-up interview could have been put in and fit along with the rest of that bogus Nightline one. People are failing to ask why don't they let her answer a darn question? Maybe because she has the answers. Anyone out there with a sincere heart and a Google search bar can find the truth, but these interviews are for the lazy voters who will take it as their vitamin.

Summersfam said...

Yeah, what I want to see is the entire, uncut version. You could tell that almost every answer she gave was cut short and then they spliced in the next question.